The 3rd and 4th grade students at Wentworth participate in music classes that engage them in all aspects of music. While learning the important elements of music the students are involved in dance, movement, rhythm, instrument playing and note reading on the staff. Our curriculum offers a variety of musical experiences for the children. We incorporate such approaches as Orff, Kodaly, Dalcroze, recorder and choral ensembles. All students participate in an annual concert in the spring.
5th Grade Music at Wentworth - The focus of music in 5th grade is hands on learning of musical concepts with instruments. 5th Grade students have the choice of Orff class or Band class (instrument choices are flute, clarinet, alto saxophone, trumpet, trombone, concert band percussion and Orff percussion). The 5th grade students present a concert using their instruments in May. All 5th grade students also sing a song that is presented with student art work at the 5th grade concert. In addition, 5th grade students may participate in chorus. All 5th grade students receive a c.d. portfolio of samples of their playing and singing at the end of the year.
Young musicians at Wentworth develop the following National Standards for Music Education:
- Singing a varied repetoire of music
- Performing on instruments a varied repertoire of music
- Improvising melodies and accompaniments
- Composing and arranging music within specified guidelines
- Reading and notating music
- Listening to, analyzing, and describing music
- Evaluating music and music performances
- Understanding relationships between music and other arts
- Understanding music in relation to history and culture